Go Back   Lunkerville Bass Fishing Forums > Tackle and Tactics

Old 02-09-2012, 08:14 PM

BassMaestro is on a distinguished road
Default How to find underwater structure

I'm a shore fisherman (not by choice.) so it's hard to beat the bank. And even when I can I want to fish open water, especially in early spring/late winter. So how do you locate underwater structure like boulders/logs/humps etc without sonar?
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Mike D is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to find underwater structure

maestro, first get a good lake map... then, walk the bank in late fall/winter if it's a lake with a draw down... many lakes have dams and they're intentionally drawn down so that shoreline and dock work can be done... this is when you note all the structure that suddenly appears in the shallow areas... other than that, when u see a big piece of available and dead natural structure on the shoreline, throw it as far as you can in the water and note where you put it... like if you see a big branch that has broken off or a small dead tree... you're only helping the fish population, and your fishing experience when you do that... if there is a big branch in the water, there's a very good chance fish are near it.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:13 AM

grampa1114 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to grampa1114

Maestro, if you have water flowing, you can look for irregularities on the surface. Look for ripples and eddies to tell you when the current flow changes around and over structure and obstructions. Don't forget that the fish take advantage of the relief of flow to rest and wait in ambush.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 AM

BassMaestro is on a distinguished road

I don't fish too many rivers, but that is a good method if I do. Has anyone ever done something like taking the trebles off a deep diving crank a reeling it in shallow water? Seems like that could be a good method without scaring the fish.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:51 AM

Wild Bill is on a distinguished road

Whenever there is a drought, walk around your waters and take lots of piuctures and written notes about the stuff that you see that is exposed in those low-water times.

Unless YOU own the waters fully, putting things like logs, laydown trees, boulders, etc into the waters is illegal in most states.
Hookerz Tackle Promotional Staff
BillM's Wacky Rigging Tool Promotional Staff
HOOKERZ Forum Administrator
Old 02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Mike D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post
Whenever there is a drought, walk around your waters and take lots of piuctures and written notes about the stuff that you see that is exposed in those low-water times.

Unless YOU own the waters fully, putting things like logs, laydown trees, boulders, etc into the waters is illegal in most states.
this is true, but come on bill, a branch or 2 in the water isn't hurting anybody.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 AM

BuzzBeast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill View Post

So is Peeing in the lake, and I'm sure everyone has done that...I like Mike's idea of giving your spots a little "help"...The map tip is always a good one and take a look ar what's on shore and if it would possibly continue into the water such as a rock wall, old road or fence, natural rock point...><>...Buzz
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM

meach is on a distinguished road

Fellow bank fisherman here too..what i usually do when fishing a new body of water i take a 3/8 or 1/2 oz drop shot (tungsten works better) weight clip it to the end of my line (no hook just the sinker) cast as far as i can and slowly drag it back so i can get an idea of what the bottom contour is like ...this is my homemade sonar
Old 05-25-2012, 04:37 PM

Bart Blades is on a distinguished road

I'm also a bank fisherman and Meach, your idea is the same one I use. I get a picture of where I am standing, and after casting, I usually slow crank and memorize what I may be hitting and approximate distance so that I can write down the information in a notebook when i finish reeling in. Hope this helps.