Go Back   Lunkerville Bass Fishing Forums > Tackle and Tactics

Old 07-23-2009, 09:37 AM

cdelong is on a distinguished road
Default Azuma lures

I rolled across some nice looking crankbaits a few weeks ago at my local baitshop. They looked very natural and thats the only reason they struck my eye. I picked up two 2-5ft floaters and one 4-8ft floater.

If you havent seen the weather lately or don't live in FL, I'll tell you the heat is brutal (and I love it). Water temps are in the upper 80's and theres not been much topwater action for me lately. I've been using Strike King and Bandit crankbaits for the last two years and had a hard time putting one away last night after I caught a few small ones, but I managed to pull out the Azuma's.

First cast with a 2-5ft Azuma I couldn't hit bottom so I pulled out the 4-8ft. First cast with the 4-8ft Azuma I cranked it fast to get it down to the bottom. Shortly after I was snagged on the bottom! Then the bottom moved my rod a little and started moving! I realized I was not snagged and had some game on.....

I waited for a jump or splash to see what I had, but there was none to come. I probably hooked it about 60- 70ft off shore. My Pflueger Patriarch was straining to keep hold of this thing as the drag was grinding (I keep them locked down tight). I had to walk 20ft down the shore to keep up with the fish as I didn't want to lose it trying to force it in, but let it wear itself out. This baby was on for roughly 3- 4 minutes!

Finally the moment came as the fish was up to the shore. It didnt look as big as I thought at first. The crankbait had one point of the rear treble hooked dead center in the upper lip where it was real meaty and the fish was bleeding there. I grabbed the lower lip and pulled her out of the water. I pulled and pulled and fish just kept coming out of the water. The mouth came open as I was pulling it out of the water and I could have fit my head in it!! It was the largest bass I have caught!!

Now I realize I'm stuck with nothing but my cell phone for a pic. I took a few quick ones on my phone and then called my friend who I was visiting- fishing in a pond behind his house. His wife had to run down the street to get him from the neighbors house. He came zooming around his house in his golf cart a few minutes later as I was ankle deep in the water shishing the bass around (while looking for moccasins or a gator o show up!!).

He took a few nice pics and we looked at the fish for a few seconds before I released her. That made my night!! I had already caught a few small ones and a 4#'er and was pretty happy with that catch. No scale available, but stacked next to a pic of my 8#9oz'er this was a bit larger- see link below to comparison of both.

All I have right now is the cell pic cause my buddy has to email me the pics off his camera and he's not the computer techie kind- but will get it done today.

Here ya go!!
Yesterdays catch on Azuma
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...g/IMG00013.jpg

8# 9oz on Culprit worm last year
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/h...ong/89oz-1.jpg
Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM

Wild Bill is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Azuma lures

That's an AWESOME Largemouth !!

Congrats !!

Thanks for sharing that with us here at LUNKERVILLE.
Hookerz Tackle Promotional Staff
BillM's Wacky Rigging Tool Promotional Staff
HOOKERZ Forum Administrator
Old 07-23-2009, 09:36 PM

Here the good pic from last night...

Just when I say the top water is slow.... here we go.....

Tonight I was not having much luck due to a gator hanging out in my favorite pond, so I moved to another pond (15 ponds in this area- all in a gated private community). Soon after 7:30 there were a few massive top water hits in the middle of this pond- about 80 ft out. I was cranking so I quickly grabbed my favorite black jitterbug and procceded to cast to where the hits were. I just could not reach out that far.... about 20' short of the boils. I walked the jitterbug very fast hoping to attrach some attention. On my third cast I came close to where the action was and scurried that jitterbug back. Within 10ft I had something on. The rod was buried and this one gave us a show coming out of water about 4 times before I landed it. Keep in mind I had a soft crankbait rod here and had to work it easy. This one was a confirmed 8#10oz on my scale whichI brought after last night!!- but forgot the camera

Anyway here is tonights cell pic which will eventually be followed up by a good digicam pic- don't ask how I got this pic, but it will be coming soon
Old 07-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Wild Bill is on a distinguished road

NICE, very nice !!

I wish I had some ponds near me with fish like that.
Hookerz Tackle Promotional Staff
BillM's Wacky Rigging Tool Promotional Staff
HOOKERZ Forum Administrator
Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM

It's a rare occasion Bill. I have honestly only caught five LM of this size in my life. Usually I come upon a few "dinks" (1-1.5#) and maybe a nice 3- 4#'er once in a while.

I get better fish in the ponds than I do in my boat!!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Mike D is on a distinguished road

damn! those are some amazing bass! you are THE MAN!!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 PM

BuzzBeast is on a distinguished road

Beauty Fish CD!!
I've had the opportunity to hit those FL condo bowls a few times and have pulled some good fish out of 'em as well.Not like yours but they are sweet little spots to fish.Nice...><>...Buzz